The race route has been carefully chosen to avoid any trunk roads such as the dual carriageway A30, or Cornwall’s other main arteries. This is to help keep commercial traffic and public transport flowing. And most of the course will experience a quick and efficient ‘rolling road closure’ which means only a temporary halt to traffic.
Here is some advice to help you plan ahead and get the best view:
- Firstly, we encourage spectators to use existing off-highway cycle routes, especially at the busy start and finish locations of Penzance (from Marazion) and Bodmin (using the Camel trail). Why not make this a family cycling day out if you can? In both Penzance and Bodmin there will be giant TV screens so everyone can follow the action.
- For cars, there will be a special event Park and Ride service for the finish at Bodmin next to the Rugby Club (just off the A30). And there are the usual summer season Park and Ride facilities for Newquay and Falmouth along with the permanent Truro Park and Ride service.
- In areas where public parking is allowed, car parking spaces will be available on a first come, first served basis. We therefore advise arriving at your chosen location early or using public transport where available.
- However, where current traffic and parking arrangements could become a risk to the safety of spectators and riders, on-street parking restrictions will be put in place. You may be asked to move your car if you use on-street parking near where the race passes. This is part of a sequence of no stopping areas or ‘clearways’, as shown in the attached information. Alternative parking is being considered in some areas and information on this will be provided ahead of the event. Here are the current maps and a working document.
- For both the Start and Finish those with special needs will have easy access to the route. Reasonable attempts will be made for those with access needs, and areas allocated to give wheelchair users an unobstructed view of the race as it passes by.
- As much as possible we will provide information on what time of day to expect the rolling road closure to be occurring near you. Find the Tour of Britain estimated timings here.
- There is advice for spectators, residents and motorists, and a list of helpful questions and answers.